Friday, June 16, 2017

Bears in Yellowstone

If you are lucky when you have an opportunity to go to Yellowstone you will get to see a bear. On my trip I got to see two bears both with cubs. The first was a black bear. These are the smaller of the two I saw, but can be just as mean especially when protecting cubs. The second bear I got better pictures of  and is a grizzly with two cubs.

The most important thing to remember when photographing bears wheather or not they have cubs is stay a safe distance. While bears look big and slow, they are a really fast animal. I've personally seen them charge across a field and was amazed by the speed the produce. With the black bears, I aplologize that the pictures of the cubs didn't turn out. It was disappointing when I got home, but that's part of photography, especially shooting manual and not auto. But for me the pictures are worth the risk in the end with the good pictures, and I'm still learning too.

If you make it to Yellowstone, to see a bear, if you see a late group of people stoped on the side of the road, find yourself a safe place to get off the road and go check what everyone is looking at. The is a chance that they are looking at a bear. There is also a chance it could be another animal but it is always worth looking. You never know what you might find.

So if you manage to find bears be sure to shoot from a long safe distance, 100 yds is suggested minimum. So whenever you have the chance, grab your camera head out and take some pictures. Just remember to always be safe in your adventures. 






The are the black bear, the cubs where in the tree. They are a little blurrier because I was shooting in low light with a slow shutter speed. This causes the possibility that the images are not as focused as you would like. The very last picture is one of the cubs coming out of the tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment